Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Other

Continuing my reading in the anthology Other from which I gave the class an excerpt on Vista with poems from Bob Cobbing, Eric Mottram, and Denise Riley. I've decided that Riley is a good bridge between more mainstream poetry like Stevie Smith and Phillip Larkin and the more experimental stuff from Mottram and Cobbing, as well as what we'll read soon from Tom Raworth.

I've also been reading ahead in Bressler and other resource texts to finish my didactic on Modernity/Modernism/Postmodernism, which I'll deliver today.

Despite all of this other reading, I've been able to keep up with Rushdie. Again, the Alyseha section has my interest because of it's fairytale/mythic structure, interesting characters, and surreal images. Have you noticed the characters names are repeating in Gibreel's dreams? Very cool. But what do you think is the significance of such a repetition? Naming is something I'd definitely like to discuss in class when we finally get to the book.

No comments: